Check out module on live server: http://atutor.ca/atutor/demo/index.php
Here I have attached stable 1.0 version of Search OpenLearn module.
This is the last post for GSoC. GSoC will be officially over on 22nd August. This week was dedicated to some minor changes and testing. The next week will also be allocated for testing. Follow this blog for regular updates for module. I will be posting stable 1.0 version soon.
I removed some small bugs from module files. I also tested module code using AChecker.
“It checks single HTML pages for conformance with accessibility standards to ensure the content can be accessed by everyone. “
I tested my code using HTML validator and WCAG 2.0 (Level AA). I found many errors in my code. I have modified code to remove these errors. I need to perform again rigorous testing again during next week.
This week’s main focus was on minor changes as suggested by Greg. The problems which I considered are shown below:
- After importing a cartridge the page reloads and the first item of the search opens. If the import was from one of the items other than the first, opening the first item in the accordion on reload creates a bit of confusion. Would it be possible to open the item in the accordion that was imported when the page reloads?
- It would be a good idea to have an empty search query display all items to create a browse functionality.
- The boolean choices AND should probably be selected as the default.
- Remove the “Output from ol_search_open_learn module” from the bottom of pages in the content imported if possible.
- If there’s time, there could also be choices of which fields to search, like title, description, keywords, date, and the default all. Search by title in particular is helpful for finding a specific unit if someone already knows its name. Date is useful for finding new units. etc.
- Use the HTML Label element to associate all form labels with their respective form fields. This is an accessibility requirement.
- Adjust focus for search results & form.
- create a language token for the text in sublinks.php and add the language to module.sql.
- The CP, CC, and RSS link could also be added for items in student search results.
- Validate the data in GET “q” variable. There is a default function for validating text input called $addslashes(), which is a modified version of the php addslashes() function. XSS injection is currently possible from the search field. And maybe SQL injection. search for – w’alert(“hello”)’
- Test cron feature.
- After running Update Now, the last updated value appears to be missing the time (e.g. Last Updated: 2011-07-22 at ?)
- Add an error condition, and a new error message, to catch an incorrect URL for OL entered into the admin’s Repository URL field. Currently if I break the URL, Update Now eventually times out and generates a very long XML error string.
- There are still a few files in the module left over from the hello_world module that are not being used.
This week’s main target was documentation. I have started documenting code. Other than that I modified code to make it compatible to my guide’s suggestions. Now I have started focusing on finishing code because very less time is left for GSoC.
During this week I added following features:
- Option of downloading .doc file for the unit to both students & instructors
- UI is changed and it includes +/- signs for expansion and contraction of a search result
As this week we had midterm evaluation of GSoC, I was busy with it too. I passed midterm evaluation successfully. Now I need to arrange module files so that it is ready for first release.